To engage in a pro-active program, the goal of which is to identify and report coordination problems or issues early in the process and sufficiently prior to fabrication or installation to avoid delaying the schedule and unnecessary change orders.
- 3D Laser Scan Existing Conditions
- Model Constructible MEP Systems in 3D
- Spatially Coordinate around Structure and Architecture
- Run Clash Detection between Subcontractors
- Produce Constructible Shop Drawings
Example As-Built Project Scope
Sea Water Air Conditioning Piping System Replacement
One World Trade is cooled by a Sea Water Air Conditioning (SWAC) system. While this mechanical system is highly efficient, the pipe and pumps are subject to corrosion from salt water over time. Due to the corrosive nature of salt water, the piping systems needed to be replaced with new polypropylene pipe.
- Systems needed to stay operational during replacement
- 3D Laser Scan
- LOD 400 As Built Model
- Identify phasing of demo and new construction
- 3D Model new plastic piping system
- Provide B.O.M for pricing to ownership
- Produce Shop Drawings & Pre-Fabricated Spool sheets
Step 1: 3D Laser Scan
The Helm Team captured the space with both a 3D Laser Scanner and a 3D VR Tour camera, collecting both point cloud and visual data.
For projects like these our team uses an RTC360 by Leica Geosystems. Each 3D Laser Scan is compiled and connected to create a unified 3D Point Cloud File. This file is used as a backdrop in 3D modeling software like Autodesk Revit or Navisworks.
As a visual aid, Helm also provides 3D VR Tours with Matterport so all project stakeholders can look at the site with ease.
Step 2: LOD 400 As-Built Model Creation
With a unified point cloud file published, Helm models within Autodesk Revit to represent the existing conditions. Our models are created at a Level of Development 400 meaning that they are fabrication quality.
Step 3 – Identify Phasing of Demo and New Construction
Step 4: 3D Model New Plastic Piping System
Helm then worked with the client to create a new mechanical pipe design. New Pipe supplier Nupi America Polypropylene Pipe and fittings.